We are looking for an organized, motivated and creative social media manager to join our team. If you love social media and care about the climate, this job might be for you
Based Ten years, Climate Home News is one of the leading independent voices covering the climate crisis. We aim to be the go-to medium for a global community of doers and thinkers seeking to understand the political, social and economic drivers of the climate crisis and climate action.
As social media manageryou will be work directly with the editorial team to share the latest news and original reports. We are looking for someone who can develop the scope of our journalism and play a key role in forming the voice of our media.
You will be responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring strategies to increase the reach and impact of Climate Home News on social media platforms. You must know your way Twitter (our biggest following) and Instagram (a platform we would like to develop further). The experience of others, like Reddit and ICT Tacis a plus.
We would like you to focus on:
- Set the public for each of our channels
- How we can grow our audience
- How we can reach new audiences
- How can we get more post engagement on each platform
- Experiment with new channels and ways to engage a wider audience
You will report directly to the editorial staff and work closely with the editorial and commercial teams. You will work part-time, an average of 4 hours per day, Monday to Friday. You’ll attend regular briefings to learn about upcoming stories and discuss how best to amplify their impact.
Remuneration and conditions
The role pays £320 for a 20 hour week. There is some flexibility on hours, with an expectation of attending online meetings at set times.
We work remotely with occasional in-person meetings. You will be on a freelance contract and will need a computer and internet connection to work from home.
You must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
What you will do:
- Own and evolve our social media strategy to drive audience growth and engagement.
- Plan and maintain our social content calendar across all major social media channels (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Work with our editorial team to come up with new and innovative content ideas to promote and elevate our journalism
- Plan content across all channels, making room for responsive or quick-win content opportunities as needed
- Be engaging and responsive on social media, with an ability to think on the spot and exercise good judgment about how and when to respond
- Use our web and social analytics to guide us in making decisions about our future strategy and direction
- Regularly report on the impact of social efforts, and record engagement and significant shares for use in marketing and other promotional materials (such as annual reviews) for Climate Home
What we look for in our social media manager:
- Experience managing consumer-facing social media accounts, with bonus points for media or publishing accounts
- Understanding of the publishing industry and interest in climate crisis politics
- Knowledge of how social platforms work, with a deep interest in the latest social media trends
- Experience managing paid media campaigns on social media platforms
- Ability to write engaging and clear text
- Ability to create and edit content using brand guidelines and tools such as Canva or Photoshop for use on all social platforms.
Desirable, not essential:
- Short video editing skills
How to register
Send your resume, a one-page analysis of Climate Home News’ existing social media presence, and a cover email of no more than 400 words to Editor Megan Darby at [email protected].
Tell us about your most successful social media initiative (with examples) and your vision for driving engagement and reach at Climate Home News.
Application Deadline: 09:00 BST, 11 April 2022
Interviews: week of April 18
Start date: as soon as possible