Comments Invited on Proposed Multi-Park Pass – Medford News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News

Wizard Island is seen from the Watchman Overlook in Crater Lake National Park. [David Smigelski/Mail Tribune]

Public input is sought on a proposal to create a multi-park pass that would provide access to Lava Beds National Monument, Crater Lake National Park, Lassen Volcanic National Park and National Recreation Area of Whiskeytown.

If implemented, the multi-park pass would allow visitors access to all four parks by purchasing a single pass.

The new pass “would align the price of each park’s annual pass to an equivalent amount, allowing visitors unlimited access with a valid park pass to these four National Park Service sites with the added convenience of only having to purchase one annual pass”. according to a National Park Service press release.

The cost of the multi-park pass would be $55, the same as the current annual pass at Crater Lake, Lassen and Whiskeytown. That’s $10 more than the current $45 Lava Beds pass. The multi-park annual pass is scheduled to be implemented on January 1, 2023.

The National Park Service’s current fee program began in 1997 and allows parks to keep 80% of fees collected. The remaining 20% ​​goes into a fund to support parks where fees are not charged.

The comment period for the multi-pass started on July 22 and will end on August 21. People can submit comments online by visiting https://parkplanning.nps.gov/fourparkpass and selecting “Open for comment”. The comment link is only valid during the comment period.

For those wishing to comment by mail, comments should be sent to: Superintendent Lava Beds National Monument, PO Box 1240, Tulelake, CA 96134.

The statement also noted that “full comments, including personally identifying information such as address, phone number or email address, may be made public at any time. Although commenters may ask us not to disclose personally-identifying information to public scrutiny, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.

Currently, entrance fees are not charged to persons under the age of 16 or to holders of Interagency Annual, Senior, Access, or Military passes.

Interagency passes, which are honored at most federally run land units, will not be affected by the proposed fee increase. Pass costs are $80 for Interagency Annual Pass, $20 for Senior Interagency Annual Pass, $80 for Senior Interagency Lifetime Pass, and free for those with access, soldier and 4th year student.