Mail Tribune 100, January 16, 1922 – Medford News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News

The following news was taken from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago

January 16, 1922


His love of alcohol and his inability to procure whiskey or any other type of moonshine led elderly John Mack to court death on Sunday by drinking half a pint of denatured alcohol. He will recover.

On Sunday night after Patrolman Adams arrested Mack and a companion, James Bradshaw, laborers or loggers in the vicinity of Weed of Hornbrook, in an alley in the business district, seriously intoxicated, Mack fell seriously ill. Dr Holt was summoned and through efficient emergency work during the night managed to save Mack’s life, but he was still a very sick man in the city jail today and one of his arms seemed partially paralyzed.

Bradshaw did not drink denatured alcohol but quenched his thirst with another type of alcohol. Late Sunday afternoon, Mack bought a pint of denatured alcohol from a local pharmacy and, by the time of his arrest at 10 p.m., had only consumed half of it. The two men will not be heard in police court until Mack has fully recovered.


Local police still in the dark as to the real cause of the Saturday night brawl – Geo. Grigsby stabbed in the neck by a Hawaiian musician.

An argument and fight, which ended in This Town’s George Grigsby being stabbed by a Hawaiian named Luis Garcia, took place shortly after midnight Saturday. The cause of the quarrel and the details are not definitively understood even by the police as it seems that the different people involved tell very divergent stories.

The gist of the situation is that Grigsby and Luis Garcia engaged in hostilities when they met on the eastern approach to the Main Street Bridge and during the fight Garcia stabbed Grigsby with a pair of scissors. A wound was made on the left side of Grigsby’s neck and a vein was cut, causing Grigsby to lose a large amount of blood. His condition is not considered serious.

It is understood that Grigsby was carrying a banjo belonging to Garcia and that he had taken this instrument from Garcia’s apartments at 510 East Main street without the latter’s knowledge.

When Grigsby was stabbed, two young women, one of whom is Garcia’s wife, summoned Deputy Sheriff Forncrook and Officers Cave and Laggett, who placed Garcia, his brother Albert Grigsby, Bryce Nichols and another man involved in the quarrel, under arrest.

Grigsby and Nichols are charged with having alcohol in their possession and Garcia is set to stand trial this afternoon for assault in Judge Farrel’s court. At this hearing, complicated and disconnected stories will most likely be settled to the satisfaction of the police. It is impossible to determine at this time who was the aggressor in the fight, and what the details and facts are.

—Alissa Corman; [email protected]