Miami Thursday Corporate Run weather forecast calls for rain

title=

Nearly 27,000 participants representing 882 companies run under shower confetti at the start of the 35th annual Mercedes-Benz 5K Company Run at Bayfront Park in downtown Miami, Florida in this file photo from 25 April 2019. There may be showers of a different kind for the month of April February 28, 2022, the race warns the National Weather Service.

[email protected]

Nearly 30,000 people signed up to run or walk in Thursday’s Mercedes-Benz Corporate Run 2022.

The big adrenaline rush for all those runners and walkers is the sound of the starting signal and a shower of confetti exploding overhead as the wall of people rush down Biscayne Boulevard in front of Bayfront Park.

Unfortunately, after days of sunny skies, it looks like the confetti shower isn’t the only shower we’ll see at the Corporate Run.

“Just look at the pattern right now and it looks like tomorrow we will have the best chance for the east coast regions to have rain – mostly in the afternoon and evening,” said George Rizzuto, meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Miami, said Wednesday.

READ NEXT: Miami Corporate Run 2022: How to get there, where to park, how to avoid traffic

Afternoon and evening. The site opens at 5 p.m. and the race starts at 6:45 p.m. This is when we break the dry spell?

Don’t be mad at Rizzuto. He is only the messenger. Those of us converging on the streets of downtown Miami for the 3.1-mile corporate race just don’t like Thursday’s predictions and what’s to come next over the weekend – except for temperatures that call for a high of 81 degrees and a low of 73 in the evening.

“Unfortunately, it’s not looking very good right now in the forecast for this period,” Rizzuto said. “It won’t be a complete washout, but it looks like there might be some lingering activity over areas of the east coast, but not something we would usually like to see.”

You think?

“It could also persist during nighttime hours,” he said.

Although the risk is mainly showers, the weather service cannot rule out the potential for isolated or scattered thunderstorms either, hence a dangerous weather outlook notice.

There is 60% chance Thursday and 40% Thursday night. The chance of rain and thunderstorms remains high at 50% Friday and Saturday and drops to 30% Sunday in Miami-Dade and Broward.

So why could it be raining on the parade of happy corporate runners?

Rizzuto says a frontal border is approaching. On Wednesday, the frontal border was mostly in northern Florida. By Thursday, that boundary, with its potential lightning and gusty winds, will be in the Lake Okeechobee area and be somewhat blocked off.

“So it’s kind of giving the storms a bit more fuel to build and then kind of linger over the weekend,” Rizzuto said.

Thursday night looks like the wettest time, he said.

Yes. We get the message. Is there anything more encouraging to say?

Rizzuto obliges. Rather, perhaps Mother Nature is obliging.

“It looks like tomorrow the heaviest rain is going to fall north of the city of Miami,” Rizzuto said. “The heaviest and heaviest rains will occur, for example, in northern Broward and Palm Beach County, where we are currently seeing the highest accumulation totals in the models. But that could change depending on of what that front decides to do and where it decides to park. But right now it looks like the heaviest stuff will be north of the city of Miami.”

Miami Herald Real Time/Breaking News reporter Howard Cohen, winner of the 2017 Media Excellence Awards, has covered pop music, theater, health and fitness, obituaries, city government, and general missions. He began his career in the Features department of the Miami Herald in 1991.
Support my work with a digital subscription