Weather forecast for Tucson today: August 24 | Time

August 24

Partly sunny with highs near 94 and a 50 percent chance of rain, likely in the afternoon. Tonight should be mostly cloudy with a low around 72 and 40 percent chance of rain.

Yesterday’s high was 100 degrees, low was 70 and there was 1.06 inches of rain.

Last year on this date the maximum was 99 degrees and the minimum was 75. Fifty years ago on this date the maximum was 97 and the minimum was 78. One hundred years ago the maximum was of 96 and the minimum of 70 degrees.

The August 24 record is 108, set in 2011.

August 23

Today is expected to be mostly sunny with a high near 96 and a 40 percent chance of rain later in the afternoon. Tonight should be mostly cloudy with a low around 73 and 50 percent chance of rain.

People also read…

Yesterday’s high was 95 degrees and the low was 74.

Last year on this date the maximum was 99 degrees and the minimum was 71. Fifty years ago on this date the maximum was 101 degrees and the minimum was 72. One hundred years ago the maximum was 94 degrees, low 70 and there was a hundredth of an inch of rain.

The August 23 record is 107, set in 2011.

August 22

Today is expected to be mostly sunny with a high near 92 and a 30% chance of rain. Tonight expect partly cloudy weather with a low around 73 and a 30% chance of rain.

Yesterday’s high was 91 degrees and the low was 72.

Last year on this date the maximum was 97 degrees and the minimum was 72. Fifty years ago on this date the maximum was 101 degrees and the minimum was 72. One hundred years ago the maximum was 92 degrees, low 66 and 11 hundredths of an inch of rain.

The August 22 record is 110 degrees, set in 1930.

21st of August

Today should be partly cloudy then becoming mostly sunny with a high near 87 and 60 percent chance of rain. Tonight the low should be around 70 with a 40% chance of rain.

Yesterday’s high was 82 degrees, low was 74 and there was seven hundredths of an inch of rain.

Last year on this date the maximum was 97 degrees and the minimum was 71. Fifty years ago on this date the maximum was 100 degrees and the minimum was 70. One hundred years ago the maximum was 97 degrees and the low was 71.

The August 21 record is 110 degrees, set in 2019.

In 1933 on this date, the Drachman School was severely damaged by a violent storm. From the Arizona Daily Star, Tuesday, August 22, 1933:

DRACHMAN SCHOOL FALLS IN STRONGEST STORM TO HIT TUCSON AREA IN TEN YEARS

An inch and a half of rain falls in 40 minutes, blocking suppertime traffic, washing away highways and uprooting trees

MANY CELLARS IN THE CITY CENTER ARE FLOODED

The fire department pumps out the basements; Roofs torn from houses; Santa Cruz and Rillito are filled with white water

A record-breaking but strictly local storm hit the Tucson Plateau and surrounding watersheds last night at 5:20 a.m., flooding the city with the heaviest rain in 10 years, damaging property and throwing the city into confusion for over an hour. .

Apparently no lives were lost, as investigations into three reports failed to prove them to be true. Seven-year-old Paul Brooks, who was playing in a pasture near the Indian School crossing, was initially believed to have drowned in the floodwaters of the raging Santa Cruz, but was later found alive.

The storm hit Drachman School on Eighth Avenue South and 18th Street West, ripping out dormers, ripping the roof from its moorings, shattering beams, and causing extensive interior damage. The school was declared unsafe by inspectors who walked through it immediately afterwards. It was estimated that it would take $10,000 to repair the damage.

20 August

Today, showers and a thunderstorm are likely with a high near 84. The chance of rain is 90%. Tonight the low should be around 70 with an 80% chance of rain.

Yesterday’s high was 85 degrees, low was 75 and there were 26 hundredths of an inch of rain.

Last year, on this date, the maximum was 93 degrees and the minimum was 71 degrees. Fifty years ago on this date the high was 95 degrees, the low was 72 and there was a trace of rain. A hundred years ago, the maximum was 94 degrees and the minimum was 70.

The August 20 record is 110, set in 1915.

August 19

Expect highs near 90 degrees and a 90% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Tonight there will also be a 90% chance of rain and a low of around 70.

Yesterday’s high was 95 degrees, low was 73 and there was a trace of rain.

Last year on this date the maximum was 91 degrees and the minimum was 72. Fifty years ago on this date the maximum was 90 degrees the minimum was 72 and there was a trace of rain. A hundred years ago, the maximum was 96 and the minimum was 69.

The August 19 record is 111, set in 2020.

August 18

Today is expected to be mostly sunny with a high near 93 and 70% chance of rain. Tonight, the weather will be mostly cloudy with a minimum around 74 and 70% chance of rain.

Yesterday’s high was 101, low was 74 and there was 0.01 inch of rain.

Last year on this date the high was 80 degrees, the low was 75 and there were two hundredths of an inch of rain. Fifty years ago on this date the high was 88, the low was 73 and there was eight hundredths of an inch of rain. A hundred years ago the high was 92, the low was 67 and there was a tenth of an inch of rain.

The August 18 record is 108, set in 2020.

On this date in 1951, a storm wreaked havoc on a small section of Tucson. From the Arizona Daily Star, Sunday August 19, 1951:

A brief but fierce windstorm tears through a section of Tucson

High winds last night in less than 30 minutes literally tore through a section of Tucson in the area of ​​South Ninth and Tenth Avenues and 18th, 19th and 20th Streets.

The roofs of 10 homes in the area were torn off, city police officer Dale I. Van Buskirk reported after an investigation. A railroad car was also blown a block away and left at the intersection of the railroad and 18th Street, and two downed trees on Mission Road blocked traffic for a short time. .

15 minute storm

The winds, traveling northwest to southeast, accompanied a local thunderstorm that materialized just west of the downtown section, dumped rain and hail for 15 minutes, then dissolved.

The southern limit of the rain was reported near the Veterans Affairs Hospital, and the eastern limit was on First Avenue North. A Tucsonan at North First and Speedway said the west side of the street was wet while the east side remained nearly dry.

Roof ripped off

After moving the boxcar, winds attacked the J.A. Escalante Residence, 940 South 10th Avenue, ripping the roof off and pressing it against a tree.

The miniature “twister” then ripped roof tiles from La Reforma housing and damaged other homes on South Ninth Avenue and 20th Street.

Johanna Eubank is a digital producer for the Arizona Daily Star and tucson.com. She has been with the Star in various capacities since 1991.